FB Source: Chef Ron Lock
1 pkg (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided - 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- BEAT cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. spice in stand mixer, or, beat in a large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans.
- Put the cake pans in the oven and bake for 28 to 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Remove the cakes from the pans and transfer to wire racks to completely cool.
- BEAT cream cheese in medium bowl with hand mixer, or stand alone mixer, until creamy. Add in the sugar, remaining pumpkin and spice; mix well. Gently stir in the whipped topping.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers, leaving top layer unfrosted. Do not frost the top layer!
- Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts. Refrigerate any leftovers.