ORIGINAL Source: The Yummy Life
Step-by-step directions can be found here:http://www.theyummylife.com/Toffee
1 cup unblanched (skin on) whole almonds
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12 oz.) package milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Toast almonds by spreading them in a single layer on a plate and microwaving on high for 2-3 minutes (stir after each minute).
- On foil-lined baking sheet, arrange almonds in a single layer over an area measuring approx. 13x9 inches.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly with a clean, dry wooden spoon till butter is melted. Continue cooking and stirring for approx. 7-10 min. till candy is the color of the brown skin of the almonds; it will start smoking slightly.
- Immediately pour candy, without scraping pan, over almonds, covering all nuts.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the hot candy. Wait 1 minute and spread the melted chocolate until it is smooth.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Let cool and break into pieces. Store in a tightly covered container in cool place or refrigerator.