ORIGINAL Source: Homegrown & Healthy
Infused oil (1/4 cup of spices to 1 cup of oil), olive or sesame
Beeswax (4 oz of oil = ½ oz of beeswax)
Vitamin E (optional)
To infuse Oil
- To get more spice from your spices, lightly muddle or crush them while you gently heat them in oil in your water bath, ensuring no water gets into your oil.
- Or shake them daily while infusing them in jars over 30 days or more. If using the 30-day method, ensure your oil fills the jar to the top and it is capped tightly, with a dish towel underneath to allow for any leakage.
- Once you have your strained, infused, warm oil, add melted beeswax.
- Test the consistency by removing the spoon with a little of the mixture on it. It will cool quickly and give you an indication of how hard it will be once set.
- If it is softer than you’d like, add more beeswax and continue to heat until melted.
- If it is too hard, add more infused oil and repeat the test until you reach the consistency you desire.
- Remove the mixture from heat, making sure absolutely no water from the bath gets into your blend.
- Add a splash of vitamin E if you have it, for a natural preservative, and pour the mixture into clean, dry containers.
- Once cooled, cap the containers and gift them to others or enjoy the spice blend yourself.